ISO 22000 is an international standard specifies requirements for a food safety management system where an organization in the food chain meeds to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. This standard is the premier tool used by the world’s food industry to manage risks in food safety and quality and internationally accepted technique for preventing microbiological, chemical and physical contamination along food supply chain. ISO 22000 aim is to harmonize the food sector specific standards, and is written with a structure compatible to other management system standards in the likes of ISO 9001 combining HACCP.
This standard is applicable to all organizations regardless of size, which are involves in any aspect of the food chain and want to implement system that consistently provide safe products.
This International standard specifies requirements to enable an organization
- To plan, implement, operate, maintain and update a food safety management system aimed at providing products that, according to their intended use, are safe for the customer
- To demonstrated compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements
- To evaluated and assess customer requirements and demonstrate conformity with those mutually agrees customer requirements that relate to food safety in order to en change customer satisfaction
- To effectively communicate food safety issues to their supplier, customers and relevant parties in the food chain
- To ensure that organization conforms to its stated food safety policy
- Do demonstrate such conformity to relevant interested parties
- To seek certification/registration of its food safety management system by an external organization or make self declaration or self assessment of conformity to this international standard.
This international standard integrates the principles of the HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) system and application steps developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission.